Missions of the Northwest
Missions of the Northwest
Exposed to Christianity by fur trappers, Native Americans in Montana and Idaho, curious for guidance about their religion sent four representatives to St. Louis, reportedly to request the presence of a priest and a bible. The first Catholic priest in the Inland Northwest was Father DeSmet who built the St. Mary’s Mission in 1839. He oversaw the beginnings of Catholic missionary work among the Native Americans in the area, including the building of additional missions in present day Idaho and Washington. Father Cataldo was appointed to the Sacred Heart Mission in Coeur D’Alene in 1865, and eventually became superior of the Rocky Mountain Mission. The Sacred Heart Mission became the center of missionary work for northern Idaho and Washington. The Spaldings and Eells established Protestant missions amongst Nez Pearce and Spokane tribes but abandoned the area after the Whitman massacre in 1848. Ruins of these missions are a vision of the first forays into a remote wilderness, only seen by fur trappers and Native Americans, eventually paving the way for American settlement.
"Old mission built in 1842 by Indians and Jesuit Fathers, without nails."
"The Cataldo Mission on the Coeur D'Alene River."
"Bull Mountain. Cataldo Mission, September 26, 1926. Helped build the mission 1845-8."
"Father Cataldo and Indians of the Coeur D'Alenes who aided in building of the Cataldo Mission. Present at the Mission, September 26, 1926."
"Father Cataldo for long time superintendent of the Jesuit Indian missions in the Rockies and for whom the mission has come to have a popular name of "The Cataldo Mission." "Father Cataldo speaking at Cataldo Mission, September 26, 1926. Indians are…
"Crowd at Cataldo Mission on Spetember 26, 1926 at which time the Indians, now surviving, who aided to build the Mission, together with Father Cataldo, who celebrated mass, were present."
"Showing the mat and adobe construction of the mission walls which were after 1877, weatherboarded with sawn lumber."
Exterior of the mission, 1928
"Interior while the work of restoration was in progress."
"Coeur D'Alene Mission at Cataldo, Idaho. Built by natives under direction of Fr. Joseph Joset."
Cataldo Mission - Restored
"Mission of Sacred Heart in the heart of the Coeur D'Alene Moutains about sixty miles east of the city. Built, 1845. North facade in its original condition before restoration of 1926."
"The old Cataldo Mission."
"Sacred Heart Mission- Facade restored."
"Interior of Cataldo Indian Mission."
Interior shot of the mission
"Altar in priest's home."
"The main altar in the Mission in very much the same condition as when abandoned by the Jesuits."
"The old and original confessional of the mission."
"Priest and contractor working on restoration."
"Mission at Desmet, Idaho as it appeared about 1915. Mission southeast of Tekoa, WA."
"Crosses marking the burials beneath alter in the mission church at DeSmet, Idaho, Coeur D'Alene Indian Mission. Father Joset d. 1900 and Father Giorda d. 1882."
"St. Mary's Mission."
"St. Mary's Mission, Montana."
"Father Rovallis grove, St. Mary's Mission."
"Rev. Spalding home and monument. This house was built by the government about 1866. Spalding occupied this house after their home burned down. Marker is on the site of the original mission."
"Granite Marker placed at the graves of the Spaldings, this view showing the front inscription on the marker."
"St. Rose Mission."
"Omak; St. Mary's Mission. Confirmation class with Spokane Bishop Bernard J. Topel in rear. While the mission is the only Indian boarding school in the state; there is also a day school for white girls."
"Omak; St. Mary's Mission, Washington State's only Indian boarding school. The church is oldest building (1905)."
"Mission St. Rose of Lima can be seen through the trees from Highway 4."
"St. Rose Mission Cemetery, west of Walla Walla."
"Bell on building of St. Michael's Mission."
"View of the old mission building from among the trees on the scholasticate grounds about a 1/4 mile distant."
"View of the entrance facade of the mission."
"Straight front view of the Father Cataldo marker at the mission."
"General view of the mission building together with the farm building now on the grounds from a point about an 1/8 mile to the southwest from an open field of the scholasticate farm."
"View from the southwest of the old mission building as it has been rebuilt by the men at the St. Michael's scholasticate within the past four years."
"Building of this mission among the Peone Indians founded by Father Cataldo. Building is not the original structure, but has stood since the 'sixties. In 1927 the scholastics at Mount St. Michael's "restored" the structure so that today it carries…