Spokane County Schools
Spokane County Schools
Spokane hired Henry T. Cowley as the first public school teacher in 1875. As additional schools were added, School District #81 was created in 1889. The early years of the twentieth century saw the addition of high schools and numerous elementary schools to serve the growing needs of Spokane's children and the developing neighborhoods. In addition to the public schools in Spokane, parochial schools served the religious community. One-room rural schools met the needs of children all over the county. Sports, music and other extra-curricular programs have added to the school experience for Spokane's children for over a century.
Students at Roosevelt Elementary School.
Riding the school bus.
Audubon Grade School
Girls school founded by Lemuel H. Wells, first Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Spokane.
Classroom and pupils.
Emerson Elementary School in Spokane.
Baseball team at Grant Elementary.
Hawthorne Elementary School.
Holmes Elementary School.
"Group photograph of the members of the Class of June 1899. Spokane High School."
"This is a photograph of the first wooden schoolhouse which stood on the site of Lewis and Clark High School."
"David Bemiss Grade School 8th grade class-1922."
"Interior of first schoolhouse in Spokane."
"Pageant 1939 - Golden Jubilee." (Names of participants shown are listed with photograph.See Northwest Room for details.)
Undated photo of Holy Names Academy.
Indian Trail School.
Irving School Graduates, September 1932, Miss Meehan's class. (Names of students are listed on reverse of original print. See Northwest Room for details)
Irving Elementary-first constructed in 1890.
Lewis and Clark High School Band. (Members are listed on reverse of original print. See Northwest Room for details.)
"President Theodore Roosevelt speaking at the the laying of the cornerstone of the Lewis and Clark High School."
June 1940 Commencement.
"Color guard of the LC Band in uniform in front of the main north entrance in early November 1936."
"Band playing within the powerhouse tunnel at the Grand Coulee Dam in the spring of 1941 at the dedication of the first power generating units of the plant."
Exterior of Lewis and Clark High School
1938 Boys Basketball team.
"Team representing LC in the intersectional game at Toledo, Ohio."
Hart Field in 1935.
Established in 1889.
Classroom at Logan.
Built in 1902 and closed in 1962.
Also known as Spokane High School, built in 1908, and destroyed by fire in 1910.
Home Economics Room.