Spokane Public Library

Title

Spokane Public Library

Description

The first library in Spokane was a small room in the Old Auditorium building, housing twenty items of literature donated by the Spokane Sorosis Club in 1891, and managed by the Union Library Association. When relocated to City Hall in 1895, it became the Spokane City Library. Andrew Carnegie donated funds for a new building on Cedar along with neighborhood branches, creating Spokane Public Library. The Comstock building constructed in 1930 by Sears, Roebuck, and Company was remodeled in 1961, and became home for the Main Branch in 1964. Spokane continued to grow, and neighborhood branches relocated from the original Carnegie libraries into more convenient locations, such as shopping malls and community centers. By 1990, it was clear the library was once again in need of new accommodations. Funds for new buildings were approved, and in 1994 the Main Branch moved into its current location and the five neighborhood branches were all complete by 1998.

Rights

https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

Items in the Spokane Public Library Collection

Spokane -- Libraries -- SPL -- Bookmobile (#01)
Children lined up in the snow for the bookmobile

Spokane -- Libraries -- SPL -- Bookmobile (#02)
Children lined up in the snow for the bookmobile

Spokane -- Libraries -- SPL -- Bookmobile (#05)
Women in front of the bookmobile

Spokane -- Libraries -- SPL -- Bookmobile (#06)
Lining up for the bookmobile in the snow

Spokane -- Libraries -- SPL -- Carnegie Library -- Exterior Views (#01)
Car in the snow in front of the Carnegie Library in Spokane.

Spokane -- Libraries -- SPL -- Carnegie Library -- Exterior Views (#03)
Undated photograph of the entrance to the Carnegie Library in Spokane

Spokane -- Libraries -- SPL -- Carnegie Library -- Exterior Views (#09)
Undated photo of the Carnegie Library, 1920s?

Spokane -- Libraries -- SPL -- Carnegie Library -- Exterior Views (#10)
"The building is not quite completed as evidenced by the work still being done on the front steps and the signs in the windows to indicate that the glass has just been installed. One can almost see into the building and it appears empty."

Spokane -- Libraries -- SPL -- Carnegie Library -- Interior Views (#17)
"Taken in August 1911. Miss Ora L. Maxwell and Miss Rhea Buchanan. Miss Maxwell entered the employ of the library at this time." "Librarian's office with catalog office in foreground."

Spokane -- Libraries -- SPL -- Carnegie Library -- Exterior Views (#40)
"Construction workers take a breather on the site of Spokane's new library building, located at S. 10 Cedar. Funds for the construction, which began in 1904, were donated by library philanthropist Andrew Carnegie."

Spokane -- Libraries -- SPL -- Carnegie Library -- Interior Views (#12)
George Fuller at his desk in the Carnegie Library

Spokane -- Libraries -- SPL -- Carnegie Library -- Interior Views (#13)
Young man at work in a processing room at the library

Spokane -- Libraries -- SPL -- Carnegie Library -- Interior Views (#16)
"Children's Room. Mrs. Thelma Back - Center front."

Spokane -- Libraries -- SPL -- Carnegie Library -- Interior Views (#45)
Women at work in the cataloging department, undated.

Spokane -- Libraries -- SPL -- Carnegie Library -- Interior Views (#35)
"Reference Department. Miss Agnes Cappock, ca. March 1963."

Spokane -- Libraries -- SPL -- Carnegie Library -- Interior Views (#39)
"Fine Arts room of Reference Department, ca. March 1963."

Spokane -- Libraries -- SPL -- Carnegie Library -- Interior Views (#40)
"Circulation desk. Front- Mrs. Marjorie Thompson. Right- Mrs. Rozella Buettner. Feb-Mar 1963."

Spokane -- Libraries -- SPL -- Carnegie Library -- Interior Views (#44)
Undated photo of the book stacks in the Carnegie Library

Spokane -- Libraries -- SPL -- Directors (#10)
"R. Bruce Carrick. Annual Report '66."